Wood mulch has long been the standard in gardens across the country, however, 100 percent rubber mulch offers benefits that cannot be realized when using ordinary wood mulch. For instance, rubber looks just like wood but with a color guarantee; it requires little to no annual maintenance; and, it will not attract damaging insects such as termites or carpenter ants.
According to the International Mulch Company (IMC) those who make the switch from wood mulch to 100 percent recycled rubber will save time and money. However, non-degradable mulch is only useful when it can be left undisturbed on the surface and so it is not suitable for beds that change quickly such as vegetable gardens or annual flowers. Further, rubber will not provide any contribution toward improving soils texture, nor add any nutrients. While companies like IMC claim the product will save money, it is unclear how much money is saved and under what circumstances. Inorganic mulch has its place, but, depending on your application, there are drawbacks that need to be considered. That said, each year in the United States, we discard more than one tire per person, or 350,000,000 tires. This occurs each year, and every year. For decades these tires were sent to our ever-crowded landfills or just dumped in large piles across the country – they were a nuisance. Companies like IMC and brands like Rubberific decided that “burying the problem” was not a good idea and that is why we set out to give these tires a second life as premium landscaping. This is the embodiment of upstream and downstream recycling practices.
“When we started IMC more than a decade ago with the launch of Rubberific Shredded Mulch, utilizing rubber mulch in a landscape was unheard of,” says Cindy Miller, CEO of IMC. “Once people realized the amazing benefits our products have and the fact that they can save thousands of dollars on mulch over the next 12 plus years, the response has been overwhelming.”
“To date, and with the help of consumers across the country, IMC has recycled more than 400,000,000 pounds of rubber that would have otherwise not had a home as states across the country will no longer accept tires in landfills due to the amount of space that they require,” says Tim Miller, COO of IMC. “We know that our rubber mulches are slightly higher priced than premium wood mulch, but imagine if you could mulch this year and not have to worry about mulching again until 2026.”
There are those that will continue to use other products in their yards and landscapes, but here is a top ten list as to why the switch from wood to rubber is one of the best investments you can make.
1. Looks like wood, but the color is guaranteed to last 12 years longer than premium colored wood mulch!
2. Save more than 80 percent in mulching costs over 12 years versus wood mulch.
3. No more annual mulching – work less, play more!
4. Rated as the safest playground surface available – IPEMA certified.
5. Rubber mulch does not attract termites, carpenter ants or other harmful insects.
6. Rubber mulch will not fade, rot, compress or lose its beauty even after years of exposure to the elements.
7. Rubberific Shredded Mulch offers three times the coverage per cubic foot versus wood mulch.
8. Rubber mulch inhibits growth of molds and fungi, reducing allergy risk.
9. You will save time, money and the environment – made from 100 percent recycled rubber.
10. You will have the best looking yard on the block, year after year, after year!
[Disclosure: I have NO affiliation with International Mulch Company.]